Landscape Preservation

                                                                                                                                                                                        Photo courtesy of Mark Sanderson Photography

The Public Works Department for the City of Laguna Niguel is dedicated to maintaining the natural beauty and environment of Laguna Niguel's open spaces, wetlands, trails, and parks. This is done with consideration for the health, safety, and sustainability of the natural habitat and our residents. Click on the links below to learn more about our sustainability approach to landscaping and tree care and our Organic First approach to pest mitigation and weed abatement.


Drought-tolerant Landscapes

Public Works installs and maintains drought-tolerant, low maintenance landscaping with a focus to use plants that attract natural pollinators such as bees and butterflies. 

LN Demo Garden Opens in new window

COMING SOON! Laguna Niguel Demonstration Garden

Public Works and the Moulton Niguel Water District are planting a demonstration garden at the Sea Country Senior and Community Center to educate and provide inspiration to residents to plant their own natural landscape gardens. 

Wetlands Opens in new window

Wetland Conservation & Preservation

Public Works maintains 13 wetlands throughout the Aliso Creek watershed. Public Works won multiple awards in 2022 for its habitat restoration of the Salt Creek Wetland and the creation of an interactive wetlands map on the City’s website.

Urban Forestry Program Opens in new window

Urban Forestry Program

Public Works maintains 7,500 trees throughout the city and plants three new trees for every one tree that is removed. Trees are trimmed to enhance public safety and promote tree health. Trimming is scheduled to avoid bird-nesting season. 

Organic-First Opens in new window

Organic First Practices

The City of Laguna Niguel has adopted an Organic First Policy approach to pest control to maintain a healthy and sustainable environment. Annually, Public Works uses 90 tons of organic compost and 500 yards of organic mulch in City landscapes.

Weed-Abatement Program Opens in new window

Weed Abatement Program

Public Works relies on goats as part of its weed abatement of open spaces covering approximately 45 acres of land. Goats are a natural and sustainable way to control weeds without the use of power equipment or pesticides.

Water Conservation Opens in new window

Water Conservation

Public Works is exploring multiple projects to reduce the City's potable water use and to educate the public regarding water savings efforts. Public Works continues to convert the remaining potable water landscape meters to reclaimed water. Approximately 75% of City-owned meters have been converted with future plans to convert the remaining 25%.