Encroachment Permits

What is an Encroachment Permit?

An Encroachment permit grants permission to use the public right-of-way for work by private developers, contractors, or utility companies. 

You will need to obtain an Encroachment permit if you will be using any part of a public street right-of-way for storing materials (such as large dumpster), parking equipment, or conducting any work.


A public right-of-way is defined as any street, road, highway, sidewalk, or easement that is owned, leased, or controlled by the City.

For placement of a dumpster, refuse bin, or temporary moving pod on the City's right-of-way, a Public Property Encroachment Permit and payment in the amount of $75.00 is required. The City of Laguna Niguel has an exclusive Franchise Agreement with CR&R Environmental Services, Inc. and only CR&R may be used for dumpster placement on public right-of-way throughout the City.


If a resident wishes to utilize their private driveway to place a dumpster, refuse bin, or temporary moving pod, an Encroachment Permit will not be required.

Residents & Utility companies may apply for an Encroachment Permit online by clicking on the link to eTRAKiT.